SONGS FOR THE SPIRIT
Songs for the Spirit is a project in which Winsor Music commissions a chorale for one concert a year to be played by the performers and taught to the audience. Although the texts will be chosen by the composer, Winsor Music’s goal is ultimately to create a collection of hymns on the themes of tolerance, peace and unity. Songs for the Spirit was inspired by A Song of Peace, a hymn based on Finlandia by Sibelius.
- John Harbison: O God of Every People
- Martin Brody: Until They Are Free
- Peter Child: Peace Poem After a Ugaritic Inscription
- John Harbison: I long for household voices gone
- James Matheson: On Liberty and Slavery
- Eric Nathan: “Hope” is the thing with feathers
- Lev Mamuya: I Dream a World
- Megan Henderson: Jewell Hill
- Lev Mamuya: high-wire
This is my song, O God of all the nations,
A song of Peace for lands afar and mine;
This is my home, the country where my heart is,
Here are my hopes, my dreams, my holy shrine;
But other hearts in other lands are beating
With hopes and dreams as true and high as mine.
"A Song of Peace"
Words by Lloyd Stone