We're so excited to tell you that we are 53% of the way to our minimum target goal!
We are so grateful to all of you for your financial, verbal, and social support. At this point, we're focusing on getting all the way to our target goal, so we need every bit of help we can get. If you or someone you know has thought about making a donation, but held back because you weren't familiar with our crowd-funding platform, we wrote this post for you. Why Hatchfund, you ask? Here are 5 reasons why:
1) Every last cent of your donation is tax deductible to the amount allowed by law, because Hatchfund/AIM is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. If you choose one of our great perks, we are legally required to withhold the material cost of your perk from your tax exemption: a very small percentage of the total donation (i.e. $4 for material costs out of a $100 exemption). If you don't choose a perk, the full amount of your donation through Hatchfund is tax deductible. This is not true of other crowdfunding organizations like IndieGoGo or Kickstarter!
2) Hatchfund emphasizes education and support for their artists. We have a one-to-one relationship with our project manager, Dillon, who has been incredibly supportive and encouraging as we’ve been putting this project together throughout the summer. They are committed to ensuring that we get funded. This approach works! Hatchfund has an astonishing 75% success rate, the highest of any crowd-funding platform in the industry: 40% for Kickstarter (as of January 15, 2015) and 9% for Indiegogo (as of February 17, 2015).
3) Hatchfund is free for us, the artists. That means that if you decide to donate $50, we get $50. Other crowd-funding platforms take a percentage of your donation, so if you give $50, we might get $45, depending on the platform. Hatchfund asks you to donate 5% of your original donation to support their mission (and the amazing support we get from them for free), and another 5% to cover their credit card processing fees. If you decide to donate $50, they’ll ask you to give another $5, but Winsor Music never loses any part of your donation. The additional $5 is also tax deductible!
4) Hatchfund’s mission is closely aligned with ours. Hatchfund was tailor-made to help support art and artists in America, not to launch start-ups or fund the development of a new gadget. They are experts in their field, and they are constantly helping our colleagues around the country make their artistic dreams a reality. (Check out our friend Eric Nathan’s project, successfully funded last year, and featuring our own Peggy Pearson!)
5) Why crowd-fund at all? To spread the word about our work, to expand our family of supporters, and to inspire other organizations to pursue similar programs and projects, unlocking the pursuit of, access to, and enjoyment of the arts for as many people as possible.
We are so excited to partner with Hatchfund on this project, and we’d love for you to join us.